Zoloft also known as Sertraline is considered as one of the world’s most popular antidepressant produced and marketed by Pfizer which is prescribed to patients with varying levels of depression and anxiety. The drug is designed to treat social anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder and other related mental disorders for children and adults as young as six years old.
Recently, clinical studies associate several antidepressant medications including lawsuit for Zoloft to complications and birth defects if taken by pregnant women. The birth defects linked to the utilization of Zoloft during pregnancy include omphalocele, craniosynotostosis, ventricular septal defects (VSD) and atrial septal defects (ASD).
Since many women have been unaware of the health risks linked in taking Zoloft or other SSRI antidepressants, individuals who have taken the medications during the pregnancy and given birth to a child with heart defects or other birth complications are encouraged to file lawsuits and contact an attorney. The Zoloft lawsuit may provide benefits and compensation for families and children who have suffered malformation that may have been prevented if adequate warnings had been provided concerning the risk of the drug. The allegation raised on Zoloft lawsuits is that the manufacturers failed to research the side effects of the drug when used in pregnant women and it did not also provide warnings to consumers and even to medical community that the medication may leave children with fatal health problems during pregnancy.
Zoloft has been classified as a Category C drug during pregnancy which has the potential to harm unborn fetus and experts have suggested that the medication pregnancy risk justifies as Category D classification. Category D is considered more serious warning for patients because the drug that belongs in this class has a positive evidence of human fetal risk which does not call for a recall due to potential benefits that may warrant the utilization of the drug by pregnant women.
When you are considering filing a Zoloft lawsuit, basically, you need to consult an attorney who would provide with advice and tips concerning the case. Further, the lawyer will explain to his/her clients with the ups and downs of the procedure as well as getting the right compensation that the client deserved.
Mothers with children who are affected by the birth defect associated to the utilization of Zoloft during pregnancy can file a Zoloft lawsuit. Victims can file for class action lawsuits and individual lawsuits because of the congenital anomalies caused by the medication. In a class action lawsuit, the rights of the clients are represented together with the award or the settlement winning to be shared in the end equally while an individual lawsuit presents specific case with particularities and attempts to get the compensation that suits the client’s best interests.
Tips on Finding Lawyers
• Friends and Acquaintances- You can talk to your friends or coworkers who have been represented by a lawyer on their own injury claims. You must meet the lawyer first, then you have to discuss your case with him/her and decide if you want to work with him/her.
• Other Lawyers- Most of the lawyers refers cases to one another and they also know someone who handles plaintiffs’ personal injury cases.
• Referral Services- You can also look for lawyers in most local bar associations because they have referral services wherein the names of the lawyers are available and arranged through legal specialty. Some of the lawyer referral services screen attorneys and only list those who are qualified with a certain amount of past experience. You need to determine the qualifications that you are looking for in a lawyer before choosing a lawyer referral service.
Basic things you’ll need to find out from the lawyer.
• Lawyers General Experience- First thing, you need to duration of the lawyer which have been in practice. Another thing that you need to know is the percentage of the lawyer’s practice involving personal injury cases.
• Settlement Goal- The settlement goal is when you should let the lawyer know of the things that you want him or her to do for you such as the certain settlement amount with few costs and little hassle, obtaining an amount higher that the offers of the insurance company and the duration of the case lawsuit for zoloft.